…as police dismiss mass abduction claims
The Oyo state police command has dismissed viral reports of a mass abduction in Abanla community and other parts of Ibadan, the state capital.
In a statement issued on Wednesday, Olushola Ayanlade, police spokesperson in Oyo, said no such incident had been reported anywhere in Ibadan or nearby areas, apart from the abduction of two staff members of the Cocoa Research Institute of Nigeria (CRIN) in Ibadan.
“The Command views the dissemination of such unverified and sensational reports as highly irresponsible and capable of creating unnecessary fear, panic and tension among residents,” the statement reads.
“Beyond this, the spread of false information has the tendency to undermine public confidence in ongoing security efforts while equally diverting limited operational and emergency response resources away from genuine security concerns requiring immediate attention.”
“It is against this backdrop that the Command strongly advises media organizations, bloggers and social media influencers to uphold the principles of responsible reportage by verifying security-related information through appropriate channels before publication.”
Ayanlade said two suspects linked to the abduction of two staff members of CRIN have been arrested.
He said a distress report was received around 6pm on Tuesday at the Idi-Ayunre divisional police headquarters from the chief security officer of CRIN.
Ayanlade said preliminary investigations showed that about six armed men attacked the area and kidnapped the victims to an unknown location.
READ ALSO: Gunmen kidnap four cocoa farmers in Ibadan
According to him, Abimbola Olugbemiga, the commissioner of police in the state, immediately ordered the deployment of tactical and intelligence teams, including operatives of the anti-kidnapping squad, to rescue the victims and arrest the remaining suspects.
“Consequently, intensive bush combing and coordinated search operations commenced across the surrounding forested locations linked to the incident,” he said.
“It was during one of such operations on 20th May, 2026 at about 0810hrs that Police operatives encountered and accosted two suspicious individuals identified as Shehu and Abubakar.
“Upon preliminary interrogation, the duo volunteered to lead the operatives to the hideout of their accomplices.
“However, while approaching the suspected location, the team came under gunfire attack from armed men believed to be members of the kidnapping syndicate.
“The operatives responded professionally, repelled the attack and successfully extracted the two suspects, who are currently in custody of the Anti-Kidnapping Squad for further investigation and intelligence exploitation.”

